Beet Buckwheat Pancakes
The bright pink batter was a cause for alarm among my children at the start of a recent weekend pancake breakfast.
They expressed their concern as a stack of vibrantly coloured pancakes steadily grew next to my stove. “Don’t worry”, I assured them, “You love chocolate beet cake and you will love these too. I’m testing a new recipe for the blog.”
The first bite was hesitant; the second much more confident, and then: “Tell your readers they don’t taste like beets at all”, Noah offered up, between enormous bites of fluffy pink pancakes.
Thanks for the tip, buddy. And so, readers? Today’s recipe is one hundred percent kid approved.
If you’re not in the habit of roasting off a mess of beets in the winter months, then I encourage you to do so. They are cheap, full of vitamins and can keep for several days in the refrigerator for salads and such.
I usually toss half of a batch into my food processor (once they’ve been peeled) and turn them into purée. Then I freeze the purée in 1 cup portions for my kid’s absolute favourite cake – the chocolate beet sheet cake in Brown Eggs and Jam Jars.
I also use the purée for my dark and delicious beet braised lentils, and now, the fluffiest buckwheat pancakes, perfect for Valentine’s Day tomorrow.
I’ve always wanted to be remembered for my creative pancakes and I’d say today’s beet buckwheat version are up there as a unique breakfast. The two main ingredients complement each other extremely well, with the earthiness of the beets playing off the nutty buckwheat flour. Maple syrup brings them together and a dash of cinnamon only enhances their appeal.
For the fluffiest of pancakes, I use cultured buttermilk instead of regular milk, and a very light hand when combining the ingredients. It’s also important to have the griddle hot and begin to fry the pancakes as soon as the batter comes together.
Fluffy Beet Buckwheat Pancakes Print Recipe type: Breakfast Author: Aimee Prep time: 10 mins Cook time: 10 mins Total time: 20 mins Serves/Yield: 8 medium pancakes Light and airy, these pink pancakes are as nutritious as they are pretty. Ingredients
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup beet purée
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup buttermilk
- cooking oil, for frying
More Beet Recipes
There’s something about the firm texture of beets and their earthy I-can-taste-the-garden flavour that satisfies my hankering for vegetables in February. Here’s a selection of recipes that proves just how much I love beets. These dive waaaay back into the archives and my old photos, so please be kind. The recipes are as rock solid as ever.
- Beet and Orzo Salad with Feta
- Roasted Beet and Blueberry Salad
- Beet Braised Lentils with Thyme and Apples
- Roasted Beet and Garlic Pasta
- Dark Chocolate Beet Bundt Cake
- Chocolate Beet Molten Cakes
We have a record braking round-up of seasonal eats for you this month from our blogging group. From soups to salads, smoothies and semifreddo, these original recipes will have you celebrating the season.
- Citrus and Yogurt Fruit Pizza with Granola Crust by Completely Delicious
- Spicy Cashew Spring Greens Soup by Letty’s Kitchen
- Lemon Poppy Seed Meringue Cookies by Project Domestication
- Meyer Lemon & Thyme Semifreddo by Suitcase Foodist
- Paleo Lemon Poppy Seed Bread by Joy Food Sunshine
- Broccoli Cheese and Potato Soup by Foodie Crush
- Tilapia with Tangerine Salsa by Healthy Seasonal Recipes
- Orange and Arugula Smoothie Bowl by Floating Kitchen
- Beet and Apple Salad with Citrus Honey Yogurt by Flavor the Moments
- Meyer Lemon and Honey Lassi by Kitchen Confidante
- Roasted Veggie Buddha Bowls with Pesto by She Likes Food
- Coconut Quinoa Bowls with Roasted Broccoli and Tahini Sauce by Cafe Johnsonia
- Cilantro-Lime Chicken Soup Food for My Family
- Cauliflower Chickpea and Crispy Kale Tacos with Orange Tahini Sauce by Vintage Mixer
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts and Kale Salad with Orange and Avocado by Mountain Mama Cooks
Here’s to eating seasonally, even in the middle of winter.
Beet Buckwheat Pancakes is a post from Simple Bites
© 2010-2016 Simplebites | All rights reserved – This feed is provided for the convenience of Simplebites.net subscribers. Any reproduction of the content within this feed is strictly prohibited. If you are reading this content elsewhere, please contact email@example.com to let us know. Thanks.